Over time, Plastic can fade and wear, losing its original color and luster. It is especially true for regularly exposed items to the sun or elements. While it may seem daunting if you are looking for how to restore ATV plastics it is relatively easy.
With the right tools and techniques, you can have your ATV looking new in no time.
Why Do ATV Plastics Fade?
ATV plastics are usually made from polyethylene, known as high-density polyethylene (HDPE).
This material is durable and flexible, making it ideal for ATV body panels and other parts. However, HDPE is also susceptible to UV damage. Over time, sunlight can cause the Plastic to fade, crack, and become brittle.
Can You Restore Faded Plastics On Your ATV?
Yes, it is possible to restore faded and worn Plastic on your ATV. With the right products and methods, you can bring back your plastics’ original color and luster.
Methods for Restoring Faded Plastics
- Linseed oil
- Using wax
- Store-bought ATV plastic restorers.
- Heat gun method
How To Use Boiled Linseed Oil To Restore Faded ATV Plastic
Boiled linseed oil is a great way to restore faded Plastic. It is a natural product that helps revive the color and shine of Plastic. It is easy to use and can be bought at most hardware stores.
You will need:
- Boiled linseed oil
- A clean, dry cloth
- ATV plastic cleaner (optional)
1. Mix one part of boiled linseed oil with two parts of paint thinner in a bucket. If you’re working with faded black Plastic, add a teaspoon of black pigment to the mixture.
2. Soak a rag in the solution and wring it out so that it’s damp but not dripping.
3. Rub the mixture into the faded Plastic using circular motions. Be sure to cover the entire surface.
4. Wipe away any excess mixture with a clean, dry cloth.
5. Allow the Plastic to dry completely before using or touching it. If desired, you can apply a second coat for extra protection.
6. Repeat as necessary to maintain the appearance of your ATV plastic. Depending on how often you use and clean your ATV, you may need to reapply every few months.
7. If desired, you can also use ATV plastic cleaner to help maintain the appearance of your Plastic. Be sure to follow the directions on the cleaner for the best results.
ATV Wax To Restore Your Four-Wheelers Plastic.
Most people don’t realize that their plastics fade and deteriorate from wax build-up over time. The sun, rain, and snow all take a toll on your plastics, causing them to become dull and faded.
Wax provides a barrier against these elements, but it also traps in dirt and grime, which can cause your plastics to become discolored.
The Benefits Of Using ATV Wax
Wax can retore faded Plastic on your quad and will make your ATV look new again, but it will also protect it from the elements.
To remove the old wax and grime from your plastics, you will need to use a specifically designed product. There are many products on the market, but we recommend using one specifically designed for ATVs.
How To Use ATV Wax To Restore Your Plastic
1. Start by cleaning the area to be waxed with mild soap and water. This will remove any dirt or grime that may have built upon the surface.
2. Dry the area thoroughly before applying the wax.
3. Apply a thin coat of wax to the surface and allow it to dry completely.
4. Buff the waxed area with a clean, dry cloth.
5. Repeat steps 3-4 until the desired results are seen.
Tips for keeping your four-wheeler looking new
1. Wash your four-wheeler regularly to remove any dirt or grime that may have built upon the surface.
2. Wax your ATV regularly to protect the finish and keep it looking new.
3. Store your ATV in a cool, dry place when not in use.
4. Cover your quad when not used to protect it from the elements.
5. Inspect your vehicle regularly for any damage or wear and tear.
By following these simple tips, you can keep your ATV looking new for years to come.
Using Store Bought ATV plastic restorers
Suppose you are looking to use a store-bought product, many different brands and ways to go about it. We have used several other brands with good results. You can find these products at almost any auto or motorcycle shop.
Some people prefer to use rubbing compound first, then follow up with the plastic restorer. This will usually give the best results. We have found that the rubbing compound is not always necessary but go ahead if you feel you need to use it.
The process is pretty simple. Just apply the product to a clean cloth and rub it into the Plastic. You will want to do this in small sections so you don’t miss any spots.
What are the benefits of using a store-bought ATV plastic restorer?
The main benefit is convenience. You can find these products almost anywhere, and they are usually pretty easy to use.
There is also the benefit of finding a specifically designed product for your ATV or UTV. This reduces the probability of the product damaging the paint or Plastic.
Finally, using a store-bought product is usually cheaper than taking your ATV to a professional.
How To Choose the suitable ATV Restorer
When choosing a store-bought product, there are a few things you will want to keep in mind.
You want to make sure the product is designed for Plastic. Some products are made of Plastic and paint, but others are not. If you are unsure, ask someone at the shop before you buy it.
To ensure the product will work with your ATV, you should check to see if the Plastic is compatible. Some plastics are more delicate than others, and they require different products.
In addition, the product should be easy to use. You don’t want to spend hours trying to rub it into the Plastic.
Finally, you want to make sure the product is affordable. There is no point in spending a lot of money on a product you are only going to use once.
Once you have considered all of these factors, you should be able to choose the right product for your needs.
Using a heat gun to restore ATV plastics(Not Recommended)
When it comes to repairing or restoring ATV plastics, many people think that using a heat gun is the best way. However, this is not recommended.
Why? When you use a heat gun on plastics, it can cause them to warp and become misshapen. This is because the heat from the gun can cause the Plastic to expand and contract, which can then lead to warping.
So, what’s the best way to restore ATV plastics? We recommend using a product like Plasti Dip. This product will help restore the plastics, but it will also protect them from future damage. Plus, it’s straightforward to use, and it comes in a variety of colors, so you can really customize the look of your ATV or use some of the different methods outlined in this article.
Applying Anti-Mud Coating To Prevent Wear on Your ATV Plastic
Mud, sticks, and other debris can cause wear and tear on your ATV plastics. Over time, this wear can become significant, leaving your plastics vulnerable to further damage.
One of the best ways to prevent wear and tear on your ATV plastics is to apply an anti-mud coating.
This will help create a barrier between the mud and your plastics, and it will also make it easier to clean off any mud that does happen to get on your ATV.
There are a few things to keep in mind when applying an anti-mud coating:
1. Make sure the surface is clean before you start. Any dirt or debris on the surface will be sealed under the coating, making it difficult to remove later.
2. Apply the coating evenly and avoid getting it on any non-plastic surfaces.
3. Let the coating dry completely before using your ATV.
4. Reapply the coating as needed to maintain protection.
If you consider restoring your faded ATV plastic to its original glory, we hope the tips in this article will help.
It’s essential to start with a clean surface and use the right products for the job.
Be patient and take your time; it’s worth seeing that shiny new finish on your beloved ATV. Have you tried restoring faded Plastic before? What products or methods worked best for you?
What should I do if my ATV plastic is already damaged?
If your ATV plastic is already damaged, you may want to consider replacing it. However, if the damage is not too severe, you may be able to repair it using one of the methods outlined in this article.
Can I use a heat gun to restore ATV Plastic?
No, we do not recommend using a heat gun to restore ATV plastic. This is because the heat from the gun can cause the Plastic to warp and become misshapen in the long term.
What is the best way to prevent wear and tear on my ATV plastics?
One of the best ways to prevent wear and tear on your ATV plastics is to apply an anti-mud coating. This will help create a barrier between the mud and your plastics, and it will also make it easier to clean off any mud that does happen to get on your ATV.
How often should I reapply the anti-mud coating?
You should reapply the anti-mud coating as needed to maintain protection. Depending on how often you use your ATV and the conditions you use it, you may need to reapply the coating every few weeks or months.